05. Creating Community: Diversity in Veterinary Medicine
Veterinary medicine is known to be one of the least diverse professions in America, which can create fertile ground for discrimination and marginalization.
16. Discussing Racism: Getting Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable
Dr. Mia Cary returns to the show to break down the complicated and layered subject of racism and discrimination—and why we must all “get comfortable with being uncomfortable” in order to effect change.
17. Veterinary Medicine: The Whitest of Them All
The veterinary profession has historically been the least diverse field in the U.S. In this episode, we break down how to reverse this deep-rooted trend.
20. Diversity Discussions: Tough Talks with Family & Friends
Talking about racism may be uncomfortable, but it’s a necessary part of change. How do you broach such a controversial topic in your social circles?
21. Radical Candor: Reflecting on Racism in Social Settings
As the old adage goes, you should never talk about politics at the dinner table—or should you? In this episode, we discuss the sticky subject of dealing with racism from friends and family members.
31. Taking Pride: Establishing an Inclusive Veterinary Community
In this episode, we celebrate Pride Month to reinforce the importance of DEI in veterinary medicine and to raise awareness of the struggles minority groups face in a largely homogeneous profession.
32. Safe Haven: Community for Black Veterinary Students
For minority groups, finding a community of peers in a highly homogenous profession can be difficult. At The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, inclusivity is all important.
33. Raise Your VOICE: Speaking Up for Diversity
Dozens of affinity groups are working hard to make veterinary medicine more diverse, but the road ahead is long and difficult. How can you help make the profession more inclusive?
52. NABV: Changing Face of Veterinary Medicine
Though the National Association of Black Veterinarians is still in its infancy, the organization is helping to grow a community of BIPOC veterinarians across the country.
DEI in Veterinary Medicince Series